Mina's Authentic Tamale Masa Recipe

/
1 Comments




The holidays mean TAMALES SEASON! Growing up, I made tamales countless times with family but never on my own. I wanted to try a version without using lard but all the recipes I found were too bland. 

I came up with my own version using chicken broth and vegetable shortening. My recipe uses New Mexico ground chili which will make your masa appear a little orange. If you cannot find this ingredient, it can also be substituted with Ancho chili power. If you live in Texas, I used the Fiesta brand New Mexico ground chili. You should be able to find it any Fiesta or HEB.  

Note: I made 3 batches of masa which made about 9 dozen tamales. Tamales varied in sizes.

I’d love to hear what you think about the recipe, Let me know in the comments. I hope everyone enjoys it! 









Mina's Authentic Tamale Masa Recipe

Ingredients
6 cups of masa harina Maseca
5 cups of chicken broth 
2 cups of Crisco all vegetable shortening
1 tablespoon of onion powder
1/2 tablespoon cumin
3 tablespoons of salt
4 tablespoons of New Mexico ground chili (do not over pack)

Directions

1. Warm up your shortening and broth in two separate pots on stove (low temperature). Shortening will be ready once it is melted completely.
2. Start preparing your dry ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, combine masa harina, onion powder, cumin, salt, and New Mexico ground chili. Stir thoroughly so ingredients are evenly blended.
3. Stir in the broth and shortening to the mixing bowl until evenly moistened. Knead for a minute.

All done, ready to start spreading dough to the husks!



Tip: Chicken broth can be substituted with vegetable broth for a vegetarian version.




You may also like

1 comment: